Why we love this tour
Pilot-guided helicopter tour One landing Guided ice cave tour “The Blue Dragon” sparkling glacier ice cave Skaftafellsjökull glacier
On arrival at Skaftafell Terminal we’ll be ready to greet you at our reception, your pilot and professional glacier guide will then go over the flight route and perform a safety briefing before we head out to the helicopter.
We then embark on an exhilarating scenic helicopter ride from our airfield over the sprawling glacier, so you can get to know it from above before seeing it from the inside. No need for a grueling hike to reach the glacier, simply sit back in comfort and take in the stunning views as the helicopter does the work. Our destination is Skeiðarárjökull glacier, part of Europe’s biggest glacier Vatnajökull. Upon landing, we will deboard and take a short walk from our landing spot to the mouth of our secret glacier ice cave, “the Blue Dragon”. In Icelandic folklore there is the belief of a great dragon which protects the South-Eastern part of Iceland, one of four mythical protectors of the land. We like to believe we’ve found it! As we enter the dragon, prepare to be amazed.
The cave opening leads us into the glacier tunnel, where we can easily stand upright as your guide takes you further along the frozen corridor. The sparkling crystalline colors of sapphire blue are embossed with vivid shapes and patterns which look like icy scales. The serenity and sense of wonder while being inside the glacier is something hard to describe in words, although we’re trying our best. After approximately 30 minutes inside the cave, where you can touch the glistening glacier walls and take some photos the folks at home won’t believe are actually real, we leave again through the dragon’s mouth. The helicopter awaits at the landing spot, and we take another flight over the glacier to top off our amazing journey.
Once we’ve landed back at Skaftafell Terminal we hope you take home with you the memories of Iceland’s one and only Blue Dragon.
- 60-90 minutes
- Our meeting point is at Skaftafell Terminal by the main road.[/list_item
- Morning departure is between 9 am and 1 pm, afternoon departure is between 1 pm and 5 pm. After receiving your booking we will reply to you with your exact departure time. Please note that during wintertime, we are limited by short daylight time, so our operation time gets a little shorter. If you prefer a special departure time, please send us an email or put it in the comment section of your booking.
- Please arrive at our meeting point 20 minutes before departure time stated on your ticket. If you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
- Pilot-guided helicopter tour
- One landing
- Guided ice cave tour
- Free parking at Skaftafell Terminal
- Waterproof clothing
- Closed sturdy shoes
- Gloves and hat
What you need to know
- There is no age limit for our tours, but children and infants under the age of 12 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Minimum number of passengers: 3 passengers
- Local advice: If you are staying in the area overnight, we recommend booking a hotel room at Hotel Skaftafell, their restaurant is also a great pit-stop to have lunch or dinner before driving to your next destination. The local gas station Freysnes offers some more budget-friendly options for a quick lunch or dinner (their Lamb-burger is awesome!). And if you are looking for some other local activities both Troll Expedition and Melrakki offer some great glacier hikes, giving you the opportunity to see the glacier up close and personal after flying over it.
Crampons are metal spikes that we attach to the soles of your hiking shoes, these enable you to walk on the glacier ice without slipping. Crampons will be used during glacier hiking, please make sure you have good hiking shoes. We recommend hiking shoes that are thick, sturdy and waterproof.
Please refer to below photos as reference: