Why we love this tour
Spectacular Ice Formations Solheimajokull Glacier Walking on a Glacier with Crampons Glacier Views
Now’s the time to visit a blue ice cave on a day tour from Reykjavík during your stay in Iceland!
Conditions are rarely good for ice cave tours in the summer but now that winter is returning, conditions are ideal. Exploring such great natural wonders as a glacier, including crevasses, water cauldrons, ridges and an ice cave, is the perfect combination. On this tour you have the chance to explore an ice cave out in Icelandic nature first hand as well as get in a great moderate glacier hike on one of Iceland’s best known outlet glaciers, Sólheimajökull. After crossing the glacier you’ll enter the blue ice cave. Walking into this frozen world, centuries in the making, is a truly unique experience. This adventure is easily done as a day tour from Reykjavík, just around 2.5 hours away from the city. We will supply the necessary equipment and a guide to ensure your safety.
This tour also includes stops at the well known waterfalls Skógarfoss and Seljalandsfoss.
Join us now for this great opportunity to explore an ice cave in Sólheimajökull.
Please note: Ice cave tours are dependent on the weather. For your safety, tours may be cancelled in the case of unfavorable weather conditions. We will update our guests as soon as possible if a tour has been cancelled due to weather. In some cases we might need to change the tour to a longer glacier walk instead.
- 11 Hours
- Pick up: 9:00am from Reykjavik bus stop (nearest your hotel), 30 min before departure
- Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
- Experienced and qualified guide
- Transport from Reykjavík
- Glacier gear
- Safety equipment
- Tea, coffee, water and access to restrooms at Sólheimajökull base
- Rain gear
- Hiking boots
- Warm clothing
What you need to know
- Minimum age requirements: 12 years old and a minimum shoe size of European 34 (U.S. – 2.5)
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Optional Extras:Rain gear (jacket and pants) for glacier / Hiking boots for glacier
- Group Size: Up to 12 per guide
Crampons are metal spikes that we attach to the soles of your hiking shoes, these enable you to walk on the glacier ice without slipping. Crampons will be used during glacier hiking, please make sure you have good hiking shoes. We recommend hiking shoes that are thick, sturdy and waterproof.
Please refer to below photos as reference: