Why we love this tour
Visit to a Natural Ice Cave Hike on Vatnajokull, Europe’s Largest Glacier Small group experience – max. 12 per guide! Views of Ice Formations
Join this adventure tour where you will experience all fantastic features of a glacier; you will hike up an outlet of Vatnajökull glacier, Europe’s largest glacier, where you’ll have the once in a lifetime opportunity to enter the blue ice cave, one of the rarest natural phenomena that human eyes have ever encountered.
You will meet your experienced glacier guide by our office at Skaftafell Terminal by the main road. Skaftafell is a beautiful nature reserve in south-east Iceland, filled with spectacular natural wonder. You will explore one of these wonders today in a tongue or the larger Vatnajökull.
Your friendly guide will give you the equipment needed to scale the glacier, such as crampons, a helmet with headlamps, and an ice cave. Don’t worry if you’ve never been glacier hiking before; the guide will go over a safety briefing. You will then be taken to the roots of the ice cap so you can begin your excursion.
Vatnajökull is not only Europe’s largest glacier, but it is also home of the highest mountain range in Iceland and the tallest peak in the country, Hvannadalshnúkur. During the glacier walk, you will be exploring breathtaking ice formations and moulins while learning how glaciers are formed and how they constantly change.
The most breathtaking feature you will see today will undoubtedly be the naturally formed ice cave. You will be able to walk inside this dazzling structure to see the fantastic blue ice found within. Remember to bring your camera along on this tour; you will surely want to capture this moment on film.
Lace up your hiking boots and get ready for an incredible journey up and inside a glacier with this fantastic Ice Caving and Glacier Hiking tour in Skaftafell Nature Reserve. Book now to secure your spot. Check availability by choosing a date.
Never been in an ice cave before? No worries! Our certified guides will teach you all you need to know and have you walking safely in this environment. Safety equipment and briefings are provided before each tour.
Don’t over think it! Book this tour by selecting a date.
- 4 Hours
- Departure Daily 9:00am & 14:00pm
- We will see you at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket
- Meeting Point at Skaftafell Terminal
- Driving time to Skaftafell from Reykjavík is around 4 hours and 30 minutes. If you arrive early, you can visit Skaftafell Terminal which offers free parking and has restrooms.
- Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
- Guided Ice Cave Tour
- English-speaking tour guide
- All Necessary Equipment
- All Meals
What you need to know
- Minimum age requirements: 8 years
- Difficulty: Moderate (available for rent when booking)
- Remember to bring: Warm clothes (first layer),Waterproof clothing (second layer),Gloves and hat, hiking boots (available for rent when booking)
Crampons are metal spikes that we attach to the soles of your hiking shoes, these enable you to walk on the glacier ice without slipping. Crampons will be used during glacier hiking, please make sure you have good hiking shoes. We recommend hiking shoes that are thick, sturdy and waterproof.
Please refer to below photos as reference: