Why we love this tour
Fully guided tour 4WD ride from Hali to hovercraft Free parking at Hali for your car Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
Experience the exciting Hovercraft tours in the stunning surroundings of Vatnajökull National Park where we go to one of the natural wonders of Iceland, Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón. Enjoy the smooth, safe sailing with experienced and professional local pilot. Nowhere else in Iceland is this experience available!
Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón is one of Iceland’s most visited places and that’s no wonder. Jökulsárlón is situated at the head of the Breiðamerkurjökull in southeast Iceland. Breiðamerkurjökull is one of the biggest outlet glacier from Vatnajökull.
The tour starts at Hali Farm, 12 km east of Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón, where we take you on a jeep to the glacier area. We drive for about 15 minutes to the Hovercraft. The hovercraft ride takes about 45-60 minutes but the whole tour takes about 1,5-2 hours with the drive from and to Hali
You will climb aboard the fully-enclosed hovercraft and our guide explains how the craft works and have a short safety briefing then the adventure can begin.
We start the Hovercraft tour in a magical landscape where you have the edge of the glacier on one side and mountain cliffs rising from gravel ground on the other side. You can see obvious landmarks where the glacier used to be not so many years ago and how the glacier has formed this rough landscape. We sail along the glacier away from all crowds, on a river that comes from under the glacier. On the way, we teach you about geology, history and the everchanging glacier, how it was formed and how it continues to change every day.
When we get close to the Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón we see the magically panoramic views of the glacier edge. You get to see the lagoon from a different angle where the glacier calves into the lagoon. The lagoon is formed because of the retreating of Breiðamerkurjökull glacier. Huge blocks of Ice are constantly breaking off the glacier and float in the lagoon.
During the trip, we recommend that you wear warm clothing – Warm layers, a jacket, warm socks, boots, a woolly hat and gloves. A hovercraft tour is one of the best and pleasant ways to get close to the Vatnajökull glacier without having to walk on it. It´s magical to experience the winter wonderland while hovering around the blocks of icebergs. The ride is smooth and it is comfortable inside the closed headed house of the hovercraft.
After the hovercraft ride, we return back to the jeep and head back to Hali.
- 1.5-2 hours total, 45-60 minutes in the hovercraft
- The meeting point for the hovercraft tour is at Hali Country Hotel reception at Hali Farm (Hali farm in the Thorbergur Centre (Þórbergssetur) shared with Hali Country Hotel reception.)
Here are the approximate drive times and distances to help plan your trip in Iceland.
• 12 km (7,5 miles) east from Jökulsárlón bridge – Glacier Lagoon. Approximately 15-minute drive
• 67 km (42 miles) west from Höfn. Approximately 1-hour drive
• 70 km (44 miles) east from Skaftafell. Approximately 1-hour drive
• 400 km (249 miles) east from Reykjavík. A good day of driving, one way, another day back
- In Google maps or GPS navigation system search for ‘Hali Country Hotel’. There is free parking and the Þórbergssetur Restaurant has an all-day menu
- 4WD ride from Hali to hovercraft
- Free parking at Hali for your car
- Life jackets to use in the hovercraft
- Fully guided tour
- Headsets to use onboard the hovercraft
- Warm clothing
- Waterproof and warm coat
- Warm socks
- Hat and gloves
What you need to know
- Age limit: 6 years
- Difficulty: Easy
- Group size: 10 persons
- Language: Icelandic and English
- Good to know: Our guests participate at their own risk and we recommend that they have their own travel insurance to cover any unforeseen circumstances.We recommend that our customers stay somewhere close to Hali the night before the tour, driving in Iceland in winter can take much longer time than planned.
Crampons are metal spikes that we attach to the soles of your hiking shoes, these enable you to walk on the glacier ice without slipping. Crampons will be used during glacier hiking, please make sure you have good hiking shoes. We recommend hiking shoes that are thick, sturdy and waterproof.
Please refer to below photos as reference: