Why we love this tour
Visit on a Natural Ice Cave Views of Ice Formations Super Jeep Ride on Vatnajokull, Europe’s Largest Glacier Small Group Experience
Come and experience the out-of-this-earth beauty of a crystal blue ice cave in winter on a Super Jeep. You’ll explore off-the-beaten-path spots on a glacier walk near Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Europe. Meet our friendly guides by Jökulsárlón parking lot, beside the famous glacier lagoon in the South Eastern region of Iceland. Take that one Instagram-worthy picture that you will show to everyone back home: you and the natural blue ice cave that welcomed you.
The tour begins when you meet your expert and friendly guides by the parking lot of Jökulsárlón. They will be waiting for you with a sign by our Super Jeep. After you have entered the vehicle, you’ll drive with your group up on the glacier. Make sure you bring comfortable pants, a warm sweater and a waterproof layer on top of it, in case it rains. Remember you are traveling in winter in Iceland!
The drive itself is exciting and bumpy! Your guide will make sure you feel safe at all times and learn absolutely everything there is to know about the area as you travel on our modified “Super Jeep”. Once you get to the home to the caves, you’ll take a short walk through the glacial landscape and learn about the world-famous Vatnajökull glacier and the surrounding areas, Game of Thrones locations and other productions that took place there.
Afterwards, your guide will show you how to put on the crampons that will be tied to your hiking boots and make it possible for you to walk on the ice. Ice caves are stunning natural phenomena and a must-see for anyone visiting Iceland during wintertime. Before you know it, you’ll be standing inside an ancient glacier that holds a natural blue ice cave with different shades of blue colors and formations.
The structure and condition of the ice caves vary greatly each season. Our guide decides which cave to visit every day depending on safety and weather conditions. Don’t worry, once there, you’ll have plenty of time to take that picture to frame and share with everyone back home. Moreover, you might be lucky enough and visit other formations such as ice tunnels and crevasses that are made out of blue ice. Don’t forget your camera! After happy memories are created, you’ll return happy and warm to continue your travels.
Never been on an ice cave excursion before? No worries! Our certified glacier guides will keep you safe at all times before, during and after this expedition in search of the blue ice cave.
What is holding you back? Book this tour by selecting a date.
- 3 Hours
- Departure Daily 10:00am & 13:30pm
- We will see you at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket
- Meeting Point at Parking lot of Jökulsárlón, the glacier lagoon
- Driving time to Jökulsárlón from Reykjavík is around 5 hours in good road conditions. If you arrive early, you can take some great photos of Jökulsárlón the glacier lagoon
- Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour can’t be guaranteed or refunded.
- Pick up from Jokulsarlon, the glacier lagoon
- Ride on a 4×4 SuperJeep up to the glacier
- Certified Glacier Guide
- Small Group (14 persons max)
- Ice cave Equipment: Helmet, Headlamps, and Crampons
- All Meals
What you need to know
- Minimum age requirements: 6 years
- Difficulty: Very Easy
- Remember to bring: Hiking boots (hard on the sole and tight around the ankle)/ Warm clothes (first layer, ideally wool)/ Waterproof clothing (second layer)/Gloves and hat
Crampons are metal spikes that we attach to the soles of your hiking shoes, these enable you to walk on the glacier ice without slipping. Crampons will be used during glacier hiking, please make sure you have good hiking shoes. We recommend hiking shoes that are thick, sturdy and waterproof.
Please refer to below photos as reference: