Why we love this tour
Visiting the most popular places along south coast – the magical crystal ice cave, Seljandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfall, Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon, Reynisfjara, Skaftafell Nature Reserve, etc… Chasing northern Lights is also included! Small group – max. 16 per guide! English-speaking tour guide Free pickup and drop off in Reykjavik
Join us for this great two-day tour along the south coast and enjoy all the best sites of the south
Day One – The Grand South Coast and Northern Lights
Imagine this: Huge thundering waterfalls, endless rolling valleys, beautiful black beaches, extraordinary glaciers and small villages with unique landscapes in between. This is exactly what you can expect as you venture your way down the south coast of Iceland. Experience the secluded drive down ring road no. 1, to the famous Eyjafjallajokull, home of the massive eruption that halted all European air travel in 2010. Here you will have the chance to explore two of the most beautiful waterfalls in Iceland: Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. On a clear day, you will have the opportunity to see the two surrounding glaciers, Eyjafjallajökull and Myrdalsjokull. Continuing on, the drive takes us to the coastal village of Vik where you will find Reynisfjara, the black sand beach, with some fantastic sights such as the picturesque basalt column formations and the famous Reynisdrangar peaks. Throughout the entire day, you can expect to see breathtaking landscape consisting of vast lava fields, waterfalls, black sands and glacier tongues.
After enjoying the south coast marvels, we’ll head deeper into the countryside to our accommodation place. Here we will enjoy a relaxing evening and recharge for the upcoming day. When the conditions are right, we will hunt for the Northern Lights. The countryside, away from the city lights, is perfect for spotting this natural phenomenon.
Day Two- Land of Ice
The second day of the tour is sure to unravel the excitement of glacier exploration on more than one level. We will head off early in the morning to the renown Jökulsárlón Ice Lagoon, home of the massive floating icebergs and the location for several blockbuster movies like Batman Begins and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty to name a few.
Next we head to the Crystal Cave where our certified guides will assure a safe and exciting experience. Ice caves, like the crystal cave, are only found during the wintertime when the glacial rivers retract and the water freezes. New caves are formed in different locations each year. Ice Caves give you unparalleled photographic opportunity where you can capture the blue light passing through the glacier ice.
After visiting the Ice Cave, we start making our way back to Reykjavik. Before we leave this magnificent area behind we will stop at Skaftafell Nature Reserve, a part of Vatnajokull National Park. Surrounded by amazing jagged mountains and glacier-topped peaks, the scenery consists of indistinguishable features making it a definite highlight of the tour. On the drive back, after the night falls, we will make sure to look for the Northern Lights.
If the ice cave can not be entered due to conditions we refund fee for that part.
- Pick up between: 8:00-8:45 and drop off 21:00 to 24:00 the following day
New regulations have been implemented regarding the shuttle traffic in the downtown Reykjavik. We have therefore offered 12 pick up points instead of directly picking up guests from accommodations . Please click here for further information.
- Free pickup and drop off in Rekjavik
- A guided tour in a minibus
- A visit to Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Reynisfjara, Skaftafell, Jokulsarlon Ice Glacier Lagoon, Crystal Ice Cave
- A certified glacier guide
- Hotel room with bathroom, and breakfast. *Please note that if you do not choose the single supplement you will be paired in a twin room with another participant of the same gender
- Lunch and dinner
Travellers can take 1 large suitcase per participant on the 2 and 3 day tours. Travellers with more than 1 large suitcase per person would have to buy the luggage storage to store the extra luggage in Reykjavík while on the tour.
What you need to know
- Duration: 2 days
- Minimum requirements: 10 years, because of age restrictions in Ice Caves
- Remember to bring: Warm outdoor clothing, A waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, Good hiking shoes are recommended
- Views of Eyjafjallajökull glacier, Hekla Volcano and entrance to the crystal cave are subjected to weather conditions.
- Please note that ice caves are an ever changing natural phenomenon and, therefore, unpredictable. We will visit one ice cave during the tour and the choice of a cave is based on conditions and safety.